It’s the end of January, folks, and we all know what that means: the end of booze-free January, my one-month personal challenge.
I have to admit: I cheated this week, because a friend came into town whom I hadn’t seen for nearly a year. I don’t really feel that bad about it, though, because I had a nice time with him. Also, I kept it moderate – we didn’t have a crazy night on the town and the accompanying hangover, we had a couple of drinks with dinner.
I think that really gets me to the heart of the actual purpose of Booze Free January – moderation.
There were another few benefits I was hoping to get from this challenge, as I detailed in my first post about it. Here’s how those turned out:
- I slept way better all month. Definite win on that front.
- I lost 2-ish pounds. Not bad.
- I felt generally healthy (except for a sort of cold) and was able to run the Pasadena Half Marathon in the rain.
- I didn’t have any stomach upsets all month.
- I also saved some money that might have gone to drinks out at happy hours, a bottle of wine here and there, etc.
So, I’d say Booze Free January was a definite success! While going forward, I’ll have a drink here and there, I’d like to take the lessons learned this month into the rest of the year. The world is difficult enough right now without a headache or a poor night’s sleep to make it worse.